CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Just call me Susie Homemaker.

As A and I have been redecorating the house, I have had set visions of what I have wanted each room to look like. And, much to my husband's chagrin, I don't wander far from my vision. I don't compromise just because I see something "kinda sort close" at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I know what I wanted and damnit, surely it must exist, because it exists in my dreams of my perfect couch with perfect throw pillows and artwork.

But clinging so desperately to my dreams comes at a cost -- it usually means I stomp out of Pier 1 in the midst of a tantrum while muttering, "IKEA would have what I want!" and then whining the whole drive home about how I wish we had an IKEA here... Don't care how, I want it nowwwww... *falls down the tube*

So God bless my wonderful husband for getting me the greatest anniversary present ever -- a beautiful Brother VX-1435 sewing machine. So now I can finally make the throw pillows I've envisioned, the perfect curtains to finish my kitchen visions, and other household things I keep grumbling that I want. And despite spending almost an hour struggling to thread the sewing machine and angrily muttering at the inanimate object to "eat a cock" -- I finally got my projects up and running, starting with throw pillows for the couch:


As much as A grumbles that he doesn't understand why I kept all the decor from my old apartment, it paid off. I still had a shitton of throw pillows still in vacuum-sealed bags in the basement, so I just had to sew slip covers for them:


That's also our new couch, by the way. The Ball Stink couches are gone forever! It's insanely comfortable and the throw pillows make it perfect for crashing on.

Our other project this past weekend was carving pumpkins. Halloween is kind of a big deal in our house -- it is both A's and my favorite holiday, to the point that it also doubles as our anniversary. (Hey, it meant I'd never have to remind him of upcoming anniversaries.) So we hiked on over to the local farm market and picked out pumpkins:


And we got to carving. I admit, I used a kit, and I worked pretty diligently on it. I'm pretty proud of how mine turned out. A, however, apparently had a different artistic vision.


I married a child.

2 comments:

Erica Kain said...

I love the image of A sitting there diligently cutting that image in the pumpkin, maybe making a sketch first and then knitting his brow as he tried to get it just PERFECT! After all that effort though, I wonder if it might have been a little larger.

T i f f a n y said...

Nice sewing skillz! Very impressive.