CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wipe out.

One thing NOBODY tells you about parenting: you never, ever, EVER clear your mind of the sound of your baby "thudding" on the hardwood floor as she takes a faceplant off your bed in slow motion before your very eyes. You never forget the sound she makes. You never forget that agonizing four hours it takes you to run in slow-motion over to her and that silence before you hear that hurt, pained scream -- which you will also never forget. And because you can't forget, you can also never forgive yourself for letting her tiny little self go catapulting over the edge.

I don't even know what happened. Punky and I had been laying together in bed while she breastfed, then she was crawling across the bed. I had hold of her around her calves, and it seems like in the blink of an eye, she lunged off the side of the bed at a remote on the bedside table (she loves remotes), and I didn't have a strong enough grip to combat 24 pounds feeling the force of gravity pulling her to the floor.

Everything goes into slow motion as my mind raced through all of these thoughts, in this order, in the course of about 1/100th of a second:

1.) OHMYGOD.
2.) Is she okay?
3.) Oh God that scream.
4.) She seems okay.
5.) Did A hear that? (A was in the bathroom getting ready for work.)
6.) Oh Jesus don't let A tell his mom.

Approximately two minutes later, Punky was quite pleased with her death-defying stunt, sitting on my lap smiling and laughing while I sat on the couch sobbing at my failure in parenting. And as a souvenir, she now has a tiny little bruise on her tiny little forehead, and I have a permanent movie playing and replaying in my head of her feet disappearing over the edge of the bed.

Momma called the doctor and the doctor said -- "No more Punky flying off the bed!"

3 comments:

Erica Kain said...

That sucks dude, and if it's any consolation, this kind of shit happens to everyone. Chebbles took a header off the side of her changing table, bending her neck as she hit the floor. She SEEMS fine now.
My friend Amy was that baby who pulled a typewriter down onto her head. See, how friggin mortified is that mom... forever.

T i f f a n y said...

OMG - poor thing. If it makes you feel any better, almost all of my friends have accidentally dropped their kids at some point. Usually while they are half asleep breastfeeding in the middle of the night.

This reminds me of when Quinn was four months old and my husband accidentally shut the basement door on her little paw. She let out the loudest shriek/bark/scream I have ever heard. I was in the middle of taking a 2 hour online test and spent half of it bawling my eyes out while holding her in my arms. She was fine, thank God. But I STILL feel bad about it.

Anonymous said...

hey, I linked you thru shaken mama. that has so happened to me and I went through the very same warp-speed manic thought sequence. ugh. my DD had a black eye for Thanksgiving that year, I was horrified. : (