CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm one step away from patchouli.

This is what happens when women step out of the kitchen and drop the baby from their hip for five minutes -- they go on the Internet and read. READ!!! Horrible things about the preservatives and other crap in baby food that makes said Mommy totally paranoid. And so I hooked the baby back on my hip and wandered back into the kitchen.

I'm on this kick right now about trying to increase general family wellness and decrease needless spending, as well as my overwhelming paranoia about, "OMG WHAT IN THE HELL AM I UNKNOWINGLY SHOVING INTO MY KID'S BODY?" So I've decided that I am now going to make Punky's baby food rather than feeding her any more preservative- and filler-ridden store-bought baby food.

It's actually been a fun experience, and considering I am a woman who hates to cook, that is saying a lot. I started with summer squash, which she actually really enjoyed (although it warmed up really watery -- I added some rice cereal), and have since made my own banana baby food and sweet potato-squash combo.

So here's how it went, in a nutshell:

Started by baking the sweet potato at 410 degrees for about 45 minutes (or whenever I finally remembered, "Oh shit, there's a sweet potato in the oven.")



Mmm, sweet potatoey goodness...


Pureed into an appetizing blend of sweet potatoes and a few cubes of squash from my adventures the night before:



Scooped into ice cube trays and stuck in the freezer (that's a tray of bananas as well)...



Behold!!! Frozen sweet potato cubes, frozen in all their natural goodness!



Our freezer is now a colorful collage of oranges and yellows and greens. I may be a total hippie mom, but this is something I'm able to trust putting into my kid's tummy. I mean, I get it, the preservatives probably aren't BAD for her -- they wouldn't put the stuff on the market if it was seriously bad. But it can't be GOOD either. And if I can control her intake of that, and prevent her from taking in unnecessary crap into her tiny little body... well, damnit, I'm going to.

Plus ICE CUBES!!! Made of STUFF!!! Tell me it isn't cute as all get out.

4 comments:

bittenbyknittin said...

You could get a baby food grinder and just feed her what you eat. Assuming you eat healthy. I think there are studies about how what kids eat and are exposed to has a greater impact than the bad things we do as adults as to whether one is prone to heart disease and cancer. I think. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to feed kids the healthiest foods you can.

Michelle said...

Way to go mama! I recommend the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. It sounds like you may be on the road to cloth diapers too - much cheaper and not filled with chemical gel beads. Check out bumGenius diapers.

mometo2 said...

Kudos to you! I tried to make my own baby food, but it didn't last long. My son lives off of the Gerber Graduates, and they have no preservatives! Whoo Hoo. JUst in case you need a break.

Erica Kain said...

Dude, I thought I was a huge hippie for putting an amber teething necklace on old Johnson. You take the freaking cake ASSUMING these fruits and vegetables were organic, from the farmer's market, and you traveled there on your bicycle. Made of hemp.

I've just been feeding Johnson "Earth's Best" because I am too sleep deprived to operate machinery like blenders or mixers or whatever the crap.