CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hobby.

Recently, I realized that I really missed being mentally stimulated. I've been out of school for almost two years now, and since I don't have a "real job," my days usually consist of chasing after a now freakishly-quick and far-too-mobile Punky and rotting my mind out watching daytime TV.

I picked up a few remedies. Thanks to a friend sending me the first in the series, I've now become hopelessly absorbed in the Twilight series (if you're following my book list on the sidebar -- I just finished the third of the four books in the series). I'm waiting on the next in the series to arrive at the library, but I'm miserably low on the wait list right now as I wait for the other avid readers to finish up with it... all of whom are probably like, 15. Whatever.

And next to that, after the incredibly talented Anna made this quilt for Punky a few months ago:


... I've been obsessed with learning the ancient art of quilting. I miss being mentally engaged, and I miss having a valid reason to scream obscenities and throw fits of rage. So I taught myself to quilt, with the frequent instant messaging help of Anna, whose knowledge knows no bounds.

And so I made this.

It was made with the intent of being a baby shower gift for an acquaintance/former co-worker in a couple weeks (she's having a girl, obviously)... but now I'm not sure if I'll gift it or not. 1.) Because I'm a little sentimental about it, being my first quilt and all, 2.) because she was kind of a bitch to me when we worked together and I don't know if she's deserving of such intense labor, and 3.) I screwed up in a few places.

Hard telling, but there's my new skill.

4 comments:

BethE said...

Well done! Congratulations on learning to quilt!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is awesome and I say keep it. 1. I know for a fact that she received so many blankets at her first baby shower that she took all of them off her registry. 2. she doesn't deserve something so labor intensive. 3. keep your baby project- it yours.

Erica Kain said...

That's AWESOME, man!!! It's like there is something in the water in Indiana, where you naturally make beautiful quilts...

Sands said...

Oooo laa laaaaa. Grandma Louise would be so proud of you.