CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Def Leppard.

One of my strongest, and maybe favorite, memories from my childhood was my mom's music in the car. She was big into the 80's hair bands, and being the late 80's and early 90's, they were still remotely relevant. I could differentiate between Def Leppard, Poison, and White Snake by three, and could sing along to everything from "Once Bitten Twice Shy" to "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" before I was in kindergarten. I still remember the different album covers, as they appeared on the cassette tape cases. My mom would pop in a cassette tape, and we'd sing along happily to the bands that were clearly evidence of her youth.

While I really enjoyed this memory, it wasn't something I necessarily thought of until recently, when I was cruising through traffic with the windows down, blasting Rage Against the Machine (one of my all-time favorite bands) and caught Punky sitting in the backseat, bopping her head along to the music and giggling as I rapped along with Zack de la Roca and air-guitaring along with Tom Morello (one of the best guitarists in the history of rock, IMHO).

I listened to Rage long before Punk -- and driving while blasting it entirely too loud takes me back to a place before Punk, before marriage and Stepford Wifery and my achingly boring, mundane life. Back when I was ME, before How2 and before Mommy. And that's when it struck me: my mom was B. before she was Mom.

While brief, I had an entire lifetime before I became a mother. Like a past life, I was a totally different person; one that sometimes I miss being, one that sometimes I'm glad I've shed. And while Punk can dance and enjoy the music of my past life, she'll probably never know the stories behind it.

She'll never know that before it was just driving music, I sat and debated politics with friends in dorm rooms while "Battle of Los Angeles" blared in the background.

She'll never know that before I danced around the living room with her to The Wiggles, I danced on bars.

She'll never know that before I stayed up late with her when she was colicky, I stayed up late in coffee houses with good friends, talking and laughing about current events, politics, sports, and life.

She'll never know that before I let her draw on me with washable markers, I had two tattoos done to symbolize two different yet significant parts of my life.

She'll never know the life and career I gave up, and the pain I still feel for doing so.

Before sippy cups of apple juice, there were flasks of whiskey.

Before unconditional love for my child, there was the agony of loving someone I couldn't have.

Before I stayed up late, covered in baby vomit and weathering the flu, I stayed up holding back friends' hair while they prayed loudly, and with regurgitated Jager bombs, to the porcelain gods.

She will never know the complete detour that her very existence caused me to quickly and begrudgingly take, or the fact that she quite possibly saved me from myself -- or that I will forever be grateful to her for it.

7 comments:

Kayla said...

My favorite car time song memories are Mom blasting Cake's Short Skirt, Long Jacket, Puddle of Mudd's Control, and even some Celine Dion and the Grease Soundtrack. All while driving the 3 hour trip to Calgary and back for my dentist appointments every 6 weeks (I had braces at the time, we lived 3 hours away but didn't want to switch orthodontist's. Mine was the shit!).

I can still remember those car rides. They were awesome.

Me being 10 and my 5 year old brother and my hilarious mom all singing "I love the way you look at me. I love the way you smack my ass. I love the dirty things you doooooooooo. I'm in control of you."

Xensen said...

Actually, the best part of being an adult and having an adult relationship with my mom is finding out all the things about her that she never thought she'd share with me.

So it's not a matter of her "never" knowing, but only waiting until she's old enough to dance on her own bars and get her own tattoos, so you can share the things you learned when you had her.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I get the same kind of feeling when I catch Audrey belting out "Sweet Child O' Mine" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday"...which she has just announced is her favorite song ever.

Steven just likes his metal, so he and I are likethis musically.

But it's awesome, isn't it, the connection you can make with your kids through the music you loved when you were young?

Anonymous said...

Always remember. we're Mommies, yes, but I am me and you are you. Some of those things you shared, Punk should know. Not everything...but a lot of it.

Never lose sight of YOU. I have. I'm only starting to get it back. Well you know, lol, we talk about it.

Allie said...

When I was young, like 10, I used to think my dad was such a dork because he listened to The Doors and now I love listening to The Doors because it reminds me of roadtrips with him. The Doors are probably one of my all time favorite bands now but I pretty much love all music. I love it when my kids tell me they like a song that's from my "pre-mommy years." Their favorite is Four Non-Blondes, What's Goin' On, now that is an awesome song.

Erica Kain said...

Punk will never know... unless she reads your blog. She and The Jeege will have some big sleepover when they're 18 and they will comisserate about their mom's TOTALLY EMBARRASSING blogs, but they'll eat up the mama-love bits, even if they don't admit it!

Sarah said...

She'll know. Someday you'll be ready to let small pieces through to her - and she'll get to know a whole new side of her "Mom". And she'll love you because you're YOU. This was really great - thanks.