CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy 2009, one and all! You know, it's crazy how things change. Two New Year's Eves ago, A. and I were at a dive bar and I got so blitzed on shots of Rumple Mintz (and hell, whatever the waitress, who went to high school with A. and decided she liked me, was handing to me for free) that I wound up locking myself in the bathroom and passing out on the floor. Last year, I was obnoxiously pregnant, had worked at the restaurant until 11:30 p.m., and watched the ball drop sitting by myself on the couch eating leftovers from work because A. was deathly ill and passed out on a cocktail of cold and flu medications.

This year we watched the ball drop, kiss with tongue at midnight, then watched MTV Cribs til we decided to go to our respective computers and we'll probably go to bed soon. My, how things change.

So to celebrate the new year, I'm stealing a survey from All & Sundry as I reminisce on the insane ride that was 2008. Because clearly the countless surveys I fill out on MySpace aren't enough for me.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
A.) I became a parent.
B.) I actually liked it.
C.) I didn't screw up too badly doing it.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't believe in them. I know myself well enough to know that if I have some sort of stipulation put on me, I'll inevitably grow to resent it and quit.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not anyone really close. A few old friends and acquaintances.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope. I got pretty lucky on that one.

5. What countries did you visit?
Next...

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
The discipline and motivation to finally run, at the very least, a mini-marathon.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Giving birth to my daughter on 2-15-08, and holding her for the first time, looking at my husband, and thinking, "Holy shit, what are we getting ourselves into?" And knowing in that moment that the little girl in my arms was the greatest love of my life.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
See above.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't think I had any real failures. I fell short in communicating sometimes, I fell short in containing my temper and frustration. But I don't consider any of that failure by any means.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major. Sliced a finger open. Scalded my legs. But I'm okay with that.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My husband's grill I got him for Father's Day, because holy shit that kid's amazing on the grill.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Seconding A&S -- Barack Obama.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much the federal government in general. Our piss-ass excuse of a President. (Sorry, you won't see me get political on here much, I promise, it's okay, come back, come back.)

14. Where did most of your money go?
Um, how about the $4,000 we dumped on a new boiler? Suck.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Watching the world through my daughter's eyes.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Yes We Can" by Will.I.Am.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

I am immeasurably happier. Definitely skinnier since I'm not 7.5 months pregnant. And I guess we're a little poorer, but we get the bills paid and we love each other.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Relaxed and taken a little time for me.



19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Quit stressing out about things or getting frustrated with Punky, because as much as I hate admitting that others are right -- damn they grow up fast.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Surrounded by family and friends and having a grand old time.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
With my daughter, more and more every day. And I fall in love with my husband over and over again. *Puke.*

22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I hate our President more.

24. What was the best book you read?
Anything in the Twilight series. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Bird and The Bee

26. What did you want and get?
A new laptop -- I love my husband.

27. What did you want and not get?
Sanity. But I don't miss it much anymore.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was pretty good.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 23, and A. took me out to dinner while we left Punk with his parents.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't really know. I was actually very satisfied with the year, besides a few minor meltdowns.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Sweatpants chic.

32. What kept you sane?
Alcohol and writing.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Barack Obama. I'm in love with him.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage (SOOOO for) and reproductive rights (fiercely pro-choice).

35. Who did you miss?
I miss a lot of my friends from college, who have moved away to pursue fabulous and glamorous careers. Le sigh.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Punky

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Don't try to carry a scalding hot pot of water down icy steps.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"They're all WASTED!!!!" -- this doesn't really sum up my year for any reason, I just love "Baba O'Reilly."

0 comments: