CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Alone.



I’ve always loved this poem and this video.

I know a lot of things have probably changed in your life since I last posted; a lot of things have changed in mine, too.

I’ve learned how to be alone.

It’s a strange feeling, walking through the rubble of consequences to your actions and choices and forcing yourself – despite the very natural and human response to ignore it, or blame others, or dwell in excuses – to admit that you have nobody to blame but yourself. It is hard, gut-wrenching, to look at the carnage of what once seemed like such a happy, full life and know that this smoking, empty rubble is of your own doing.

The people you hurt. You have to look at them, like a long hallway of morose and accusatory faces. Your partner you failed, your partnership you abandoned. Your child you have let down, whose life you have forever altered because of your own decisions. They all stare down at you as you pass by, and you have to look at them.

On the long walk down that long hall of regrets; decisions made and choices chosen. The long walk down the long hall as you learn to be alone.

You go home to a quiet apartment. Gone is the house full of laughter and memories but instead it’s a new place, that you decorate to your heart’s content in a style you like without worrying about what a partner will think. A hot pink and black bathroom where you take long hot baths with a beer and a good book. Butterflies splashed across the wall’s of the little girl’s bedroom that you try your hardest to make homey for her, to ease the transition and the uprooting that is inevitable.

You cuddle up with your dog in bed, your only bed partner besides the ghosts of your past that come to take up the other ¾ of the queen sized bed you picked out for yourself, with the damask-print bedding you chose without worrying if it was too girly or ugly or the wrong color.

Those ghosts take up more of the bed as time goes on, it seems.

You have nobody to answer to anymore. You have an apartment, though hardly a home. You have a child you love more than your very own life, though you know your choices have altered her own life path. You have regret, and loss, and pain. There’s lots of pain.

You take your long hot baths, eat small meals for one – if you eat at all, there’s nobody to really notice if you eat or not and what the hell, you could stand to drop a few pounds, you watch the TV programs you want and go to bed watching movies like Sex & the City and The Devil Wears Prada and shows on DVD like True Blood, and you fall asleep sprawled across the bed with nobody to complain about it the next morning.

And you mourn.

You mourn long, and hard, because this happy, autonomous façade is just that – a mask for the intense agony of accepting the repercussions for your own actions and decisions.

You look at yourself in the mirror and say out loud, “You did this.”

“You wanted this.”

You mourn the loss of a partner, the loss of what you dreamed it could have been and what you thought was possible at one point. You mourn the pain you’ve caused and the people you’ve hurt. You mourn this apartment that has nothing but hurt in it, even despite your best efforts and pink Christmas trees. You mourn the death of the family your little girl deserves, the death of a dream that died by your own hand.

You did this.

You mourn because this is what you wanted. Right?

The days blur after awhile, a combination of hurt and pain and regret. You learn to sleep without the warmth of that body beside you, the one that was next to you every night for so long, and you wake up to the quiet apartment and the dog at your feet. It starts over again. From the moment you wake up to the moment you get back in that intimidatingly large and empty queen sized bed with the damask comforter set, you fight through the day with regret and hope, sadness and optimism.

Maybe your redemption will come someday. If you beat yourself long enough for the sins you’ve committed against the people you loved, eventually the pain dulls, like a long and complex tattoo. Eventually you learn to live with the pain and the regret.

You feel hope for the future sometimes.

You feel remorse. And regret. So much remorse and regret. You’re so, so sorry. You did this.

And you are alone. And it’s okay. You’ll be okay. He’ll be okay. She’ll be okay. You’ll all be okay. It will be okay.

And that’s what you learn from being alone.

6 comments:

Cosseter said...

I feel like I can empathize. For a good deal of my adolescence I was living under the realization that I didn't really have any close friends. (That could be partially due to standard teen angst or depression, but there you go.) I also had very little social activity for a while when I first moved away from home. I found that I've done a lot of growing up during these periods though. It sometimes really helps us re-evaluate who we are and where we're going. Coping with stuff like this is, well, a bitch, but I guess in the long run we really don't have a choice. Anyway, I wish you best of luck dealing with how your life has changed. Who knows; I bet a ton of it is for the better.

P.S. Thanks for introducing me to this poem/video. I loved it.

Anonymous said...

Reading this makes me sad, and sad for you, and sad for her. Back in the day, and when I say day, I mean those days that were good but I was too dumb to know any better. Those days when it felt like the walls were closing in ... but still, my mom was healthy, and my dad was, well, my dad, and life was good and I was fat and happy, but I was unhappy and I couldn't comprehend why and I was surrounded by chaos that I had caused, and I found this poem, and tucked it away. I've carried it with me for almost 20 years. I'm going to share it with you. Perhaps it will comfort you, perhaps it will do nothing, but I want you to read it, because believe it or not, I understand.

COMES THE DAWN (Joy Whitman)
After a while you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and sharing a life
and you learn that love doesn't mean possession
and company doesn't mean security
and loneliness is universal
And you learn that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises
and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes open
with the grace of a woman
not the grief of a child
And you learn to build your hope on today
as the future has a way of falling part in mid-flight
because tomorrow's ground can be too uncertain for plans
yet each step taken in a new direction creates a path
toward the promise of a brighter dawn
And you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much
so you plant your own garden
and nourish your own soul
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers
And you learn that love, true love
always has joys and sorrows
seems ever present, yet is never quite the same
becoming more than love and less than love
so difficult to define
And you learn that through it all you really can endure
that you really are strong
that you do have value
and you learn and grow
with every goodbye
you learn

I love you.
-Auntie-

Erica Kain said...

I can't say it any better than Auntie. Other than telling you that I'm reading this and you are a very, very good writer and a very, very good mother.

Erica Kain said...

And this is going to sound so cloying, but stick with me. Remember to do stuff like get flowers when you're buying groceries, and wear your favorite necklace and wear make-up even if you aren't going out. Sorry for the triteness of this suggestion, but little pampering steps in a crappy time of transition can go a very long way.

Anonymous said...

This post made me cry. It's easy to make me cry, being pregnant and all...but I wept for you. :-(

Anonymous said...

Also, you're on my blogroll. :-)