CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure this was an accident.

No, the title is not referring to my pregnancy.


Seriously, I think it's official to say that I'm an adult. I don't know when this kicked in, or why, or how, but I think it officially hit me when I was walking through Wal-Mart with a cart. If you know me, or have ever gone Wal-Mart shopping with me, you'll know I am not a cart shopper. I do not stay in Wal-Mart longer than I need to, and damned if those carts don't impede upon my ability to quickly maneuver through the catacombs of the Land of Wal as quickly and skillfully as possible. I don't care if I'm buying five bags of salt for the water softener. I'll carry those sumbitches through the store like Forrest Gump in Vietnam.

But no, instead I found myself going through the pharmacy aisle of Wal-Mart (past the pregnancy tests...hey guys, remember me?) and looking down my shopping list -- yes a LIST, a LIST of things we needed to get -- strategically mapping my next move. Hardware for light bulbs then housewares to check out frames and then the back of grocery to get pop... yes, that'll work out nicely...

AND I HAD A CART. I looked like a grown-up. I was wearing my grown-up Express pants (yes, I'm still fighting the maternity clothes battle and wearing my pre-prego pants, thank God that I'm carrying Sophia high enough I can swing that) and my official looking high heels and the pregnant bump that says "Look at me, I have functional reproductive organs and I have big girl sex to utilize them!" And a list of things like light bulbs and vitamins and groceries, instead of the usual "Beer. Oreos. More makeup." Yeah. I think I am a grown-up now.

Apparently paying my own bills, getting married, and having a child weren't enough for me, but walking around Wal-Mart is the tipping point of adulthood. That Britney Spears pre-crazy song about "Not a girl, not yet a woman"? Yeah, clearly homegirl was still just going to Wal-Mart and maybe getting one of those hand baskets or something.

So take note. Somewhere in between those six easy steps, you can make mental note of "Walk around Wal-Mart with a cart." I don't know where it goes. I'll let you decide.

1 comments:

Ali said...

It's funny, the things that strike us.

When I split with the fiancee, one of the things that brought it home was when I would leave the house without taking my cell phone with me, because he was pretty much the only person who would call me on a regular basis.